Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Jukebox: Heat Torture Session Edition

It is fucking hot outside.
I'm going to lie down with a cold beer and I suggest that you do the same.

(FWIW, I picked this song because 1. Mark Knopfler fucking rules, and, 2. I love the lyrics for his song. I can hear the old mercenary dying in the courtyard of the crapped-out roadside inn, sneering at the civilians and begging the priest for the absolution he suddenly understands that he so desperately craves.)

I am just an aging drummer boy
And in the wars I used to play
And I've called the tune to many a torture session.
Now they say I am a war criminal
And I'm fading away;
Father, please hear my confession.

I have legalized robbery
And called it relief.
I have run with the money
I have hid like a thief.
Rewritten histories with armies, and my crooks;
Invented memories,
And burned all the books.

And I can still hear his laughter
And I can still hear his song
The man's too big
The man's too strong.

Well, I've tried to be meek,
I have tried to be mild,
But I spat like a woman,
And I sulked like a child.
I have lived behind walls that have made me alone;
Striven for peace
Which I never have known.
And I can still hear his laughter
And I can still hear his song
The man's too big
The man's too strong.

Well, the sun rose on the courtyard
And we all did hear him say
"You always was a Judas,
But I got you anyway.
You may have got your silver
But I swear upon my life
Your sister gave me diamonds
And I gave 'em to your wife.
Oh father, please help me
For I have done wrong
The man's too big
The man's too strong."


Find some shade. It's FUCKING hot outside.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I love Knopfler, too. I am so grateful to be out of the heat, for a bit.

Anonymous said...

Here it is hot, too. And the well is screwing up....

I spent the afternoon in front of the air conditioner, sewing....

FDChief said...

The thing is that there is a certain charm about a grown woman when her temples shine in the heat and the fine hair clings damply to her neck as she fans herself. It makes me want to bring her a cool drink, something tart and minty, and admire the way the soft cotton fabric swirls about her calves in the sullen summer breeze.

We men just sweat.

I hope you ladies are both enjoying the late-arriving cool of tonight's evening.

Lisa said...

You are a cavalier, Chief.

Leon said...

I always thought "Brothers in Arms" was very under-rated compared to the more commercially popular "Money for Nothing" or "Walk of Life".

Did I mention their "Sultans of Swing" is one of my favourites? That guitar solo near the end blows me away every time.

Labrys said...

I adore "Sultans of Swing". And I like "Brothers in Arms" very much, and even like the Joan Baez version...it chokes me up every time.