Sunday, February 28, 2021

Lazy Sunday

The sun is out, the rain is - at least for the moment - gone, and I'm feeling lazy and unwilling to devote myself to anything serious, so since I'm aware of all Internet traditions, here's a cat picture:

These two are outstanding as cats, sleeping constantly until there's an opportunity to be a ginormous pain in the ass. The little gray-and-white one is the house Junior Cat (her name is "Nine" because she was practically feral and living in a storage unit with that number) and she's a mistress of the Dark Cat Arts, waking up at 3am to walk all over my pillow, yowl, and myurp for cat food. I've tried to sleep through her night ramble and it hasn't worked, so I get up and feed the beast and just go back to sleep.

When she's not being a pest she's a very sweet kitty, though, so there's that.

She did NOT enjoy our February ice storm, however. She has a catbox but loves to go outdoors like a natural kitty, so all that cold white wet stuff? Nopenopenope.


 Give her credit, she did try it out.
...and quickly concluded that this white shit was NOT cat-friendly.

That's Life, cat; you gotta take what it hands you.

Like this:

Damn, that's one zesty-ass sandwich!

Other randomeness: the CPAC saga of the Golden Trump is a nice reminder of what I've been talking about lately; that my GOP brothas are just fucking Jim Jones Koolade-cult whackadoodle, but the kicker this morning was reading about some joker named Jahn who got up at the US Soccer annual general meeting, of all places, to rant about how US slavery was actually fairly cool and that most of those uppity Negroes aren't shot by coppers but probably each other and he knows this because he's Cherokee and also a high-speed, low-drag Special Forces sooooopersoldier who can kill you in seven languages.

Now...everybody's entitled to their opinion. Even stupid ones (maybe especially stupid ones...).

But.

And I've talked about this before here, so;

Whipping civilians with your DD 214 is a total dick move that I've been seeing a LOT of.

This "I gave my service to you! And that means you need to respect mah athoriteh!" bullshit  stuff from GIs seems to go hand-in-hand with the cult-of-the-badass/soldiers-are-better-than-you-civilian-pukes thing that we’ve developed over the course of these endless wars fought by a tiny self-selected slice of We the People.

So it wasn’t so much WHAT this joker said. Yeah, lots of people share those opinions, and while I might disagree I’m not gonna dopeslap the guy for blarting them out.

But it’s dragging in his military credentials – stripping his sleeve and showing his scars and saying "These wounds I had on Crispin’s day!" – as if somehow killing foreigners for national interests make his opinion more valid that gets my goat. If you don’t get the whole "protest" thing, fine. But having been shot at in Kunar Province doesn’t make your opinion on the subject any more – or less – valid.

So, as my old platoon sergeant used to tell me; soldier, shut up and soldier.

Oh, well.

Off to do the grocery shopping.

No comments: