Wednesday, October 26, 2022

The engineer will see you now.

 I sent this to my corporate today:

"Here’s my thoughts at the moment.

My point in retiring is to step away from the need to punch the clock every week; I’m ready to start doing geology/engineering geology on projects that I enjoy and challenge me rather than worrying about getting in X hours a week and fretting about not making my billable target.

AND I’d like to be able to schedule out my work/life balance (as corporate likes to call it!) further out that day-to-day and even week-to-week, so I’m not getting a call Tuesday that I have to be on a drill rig in K Falls on Wednesday when I’ve got a romantic getaway planned for that day, or some volunteer work for Habitat or DOGAMI.

So what I’d like to do is help out with things that you can use my actual value for – tough stuff, local/regional knowledge, experience – more like a consultant than an employee. You have a big proposal and want research on local geology? Call me, and I’ll get on it. You have a big project next month? Let’s get that scheduled!

Now…I understand if that’s too big an ask. It’s kind of a weird setup. But that’s why I’m putting it out as an option, the option that I’m excited about."

My immediate boss - the chief engineer in Portland - said nothing. I think he may have thrown a plate of spaghetti against the wall, tho; he's that kinda guy.

His superior - the West regional chief engineer - agreed to my terms.

So. 

Now, after thirty years, I'm going through the door into the next part of my life.

2 comments:

Stjohnspock said...

Chief,

Well said. And said with both the 'stones' and the brinelled/galled bearings to back that up. Ain't none of us gettin' out of here alive. Go for it. A person of your intellect will find employment--if needed--when needed.

Go play.

What would your last kitty advise?

Barry DeCicco said...

Congratulations!