Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Jukebox: Tears

My bride told me this story.

She and The Girl were coming home from a simple errand; a shopping trip, a visit to the library, and she was playing this on the radio as the station wagon pulled to a stop at the curb outside the house.
She sat for a moment, watching the windshield wipers push the spitting rain, until she heard a to-a-parent-familiar sound and turned to see our little girl weeping.

Like any mother would do, she turned and unfastened the Girl's seatbelt and hauled her over the partition into her lap. She hugged the small, shaking body to her, and kissed the bowed head on the sleek, shining black hair, and asked Missy if she could tell her Mom what was wrong.

Mojo says that when she had swallowed down her sniffles the Girl said;

"This song makes me think of all the bad things I did and the times I wasn't nice, and the times you didn't like me. And that makes me feel sad."

So Mojo squeezed little Missy tight and promised her that part of being mommies and daughters was that you were always loved, no matter what sort of bad thing you had done.

Because, really...what else can you say?

And the two of then sat listening to the pattering of the rain until it was time to go into the house.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

A simple, poignant tune which resonated well with Missy. She gave a good and honest self-assessment, and was greeted well by Mojo. A success, all-round.

Now, filming THAT moment would have made an excellent vid for the tune.

Leon said...

I once saw Jann Arden at a charity concert, she's incredibly funny and self-deprecating.

FDChief said...

Lisa: I agree. Very sad and sweet little story.

Leon: I love her work, and it's good to hear that she seems to be a good person in public, as well. I'd go to some lengths to see her, Bonnie Raitt, or Norah Jones; for some reason I'm sort of crushing on their music these days...