Thursday, December 03, 2015

Boredom is a force that gives us meaning

It's easy to underestimate.

Rain shut down the job I'm covering, so I had a whole afternoon to myself in Medford. In the rain. And cold.

Rainy, cold Medford is pretty damn...well, it's Medford in the cold rain. Figure it out.

So I took a shower and caught up on some paperwork. Read a book - Cold Iron by Stina Leicht; "blackpowder-and-socery", elves with magic and flintlocks fighting humans with ring-bayonets and 12-pound Napoleons and a fun read - and did some bloggage. Chatted with some friends via e-mail and FB.

Finally I ran out of entertainment so I sat down and did these;


This is "Kittehs o' War" for the Boy, and this


...is "Drachma the Cat God" for the Girl. HAD to be their beloved kittehs, of course. I had a buttload of these postcards and realized that the kiddos have NO interest in reading some sort of boring letter from me. My Bride I can write to...but the urchins? They love the cartoons.

So I taped the postcards together to draw the images and then took the tape off. I'll mail them tonight so next week the littles can put them together as jigsaw puzzles. A quick and fun little project and, hopefully, entertaining for them.

But now I'm done and bored again. I wonder if there's a bad movie on?

5 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Are you thinking of rewriting Catshit 1 with actual cats? The only problem I can see is the conflict between coherent organized action and the phrase "herding cats".

FDChief said...

Kyatto Shitto Wan! Hai!, what a great little movie...but, no, it's just a one-off. Though I should really do something like that for the kiddos...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g6zcb

Lisa said...

Clever idea with the postcards. I love re-purposing things (the hipster word for using throwaways.) Did you buy the used postcards?

Whenever I see a tray of them at a second-hand store, I wonder if the recipient enjoyed repeated pleasure by re-reading and touching the card.

Someone decided to use the idea of ersatz postcards to make a recent best-seller, but I wonder that people actually send the anymore, save from travel abroad. Money mattered at one time, as did real commo, and a penny postcard was way cheaper than airrmail.

FDChief said...

Most of them were from "Scrap", which is this great little re-use place in Portland (http://scrappdx.org/) tho I had to get a couple of cheapie tourist cards from the local Freddy's. The really cool ones I can't use because they're already written on, and that's kind of the fun part, reading those little lost bits of lives preserved on cardboard...

I don't think that postcards are much of a thing anymore...hell, letter-writing has pretty much disappeared, and, as you point out, the postcards were the Twitter of the pre-digital age, the thing you sent when you didn't want to pay a nickel for the full First Class postage...

Lisa said...

It is fun to read them. One feels a bit like a voyeur, and I notice there tends to be a trend in their writing. They usually convey workaday news, but often with a cheery spin. I enjoy the simplicity.

It is a different thing than the simple-mindedness of today, IMHO.