Friday, December 24, 2021

Friday Jukebox: Christmas Eve Edition

Seeing as how I've exposed myself as a latte-sippin' effete lover of musical theatre, today's jukebox includes a couple of songs I love from a couple of musicals I adore.

The first is from Anais Mitchell's Hadestown, a darkly gorgeous retelling of the Greek tale of Orpheus and Eurydice reimagined as a modern parable of love, death, fate and power.

At this moment Eurydice is facing a choice; struggle and hunger with her beloved, or a life of surety in Hadestown. The Fates ask her what she's going to do:

Wonderful song in a wonderful show that, if you're familiar with the story doesn't end...well.

The other is sung by this gal:

She's Anne of Cleves, the fourth of the "Six Wives of Henry VIII", and is currently part of the cast of the musical Six, about, well...go figure.


All the ex-wives are fun (for the purest entertainment you might give Anne Boleyn's "Don't Lose Your Head" a listen...) but Anne is the Queen of the Castle (woof!) as you might expect from the one woman who came off her head-on-collision with Hank the Eighth the better off for it.

So this Christmas Eve we can join her "Doin' my thing in my palace in Richmond!"

And as a weird example of the way my mind works, enjoying Six the musical took me from there to thinking about all of the ex-wives and their ex, and from there to the peculiar tale of the infamous jousting accident of 1536, which will be the subject of my next serious post.

But between now and then I'll be back with some Christmas crap.



1 comment:

mike said...

I would not consider you effete. Unless of course you were wearing tasseled loafers when you chugged down that latte.