Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Chicken-mu!

 Tonight we shared this treat:

It's called "장모님 치킨 (Jangmonim Chicken)" and it's apparently a Korean sort of mom's spaghetti-and-meatballs sort of dish in Daehanminguk

It hits all the flags on the route: spicy, crispy, moist, savory...its a total winner. The fire direction crew luuurves it (mind...I have to hold a bowl out of the spicy sauce for the Boy. He shuns anything complex like a vampire shuns the daylight...)


The recipe is on-line here. The chef is, I think, a little too aggressive on deep-frying; I've never had to cook the chicken as long as twelve minutes. Four minutes for the initial fry and then maybe another three of four for the second. It's all good though. Man, this is a kick-ass.

 The critical bit is making sure you find Korean radish (조선무, Joseon-mu). I'm lucky in having an Asian grocery nearby (welllll...actually I'm spoiled for choice there: we have the Japanese-centric Uwajimaya, the Taiwanese-centric 99 Ranch, and the Korean-centric H-mart...) to make the "chicken-mu", the chilled and crunchy condiment that goes perfectly with the savory and spicy chicken.

Anyway, the critical part of this post is the recognition that soju goes great with this chicken, and I'm going to excuse myself to go drain the dram and get thoroughly plowed. 

Full belly and clouded mind?

Yeah, I'm good with that.

No comments: