Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Par 3 Fourteenth has a nasty dogleg right before the windmill...

The past weekend we ventured up to the Steakburger in scenic Hazel Dell, WA.This place is fairly amazing - a sort of time warp without the pelvic thrust, it is a thumping piece of 1962 that remains virtually unchanged beside the mighty roar and thrum of Interstate Route 5.

Aside from the Space Age feel of the place, the burgs were fresh and good, the malts chocolate and malty and the miniature golf very, very retro.

In the days of my youth my ex and I used to holiday on the Jersey shore. There are three basic things to do on the Jersey shore: drink, go to the beach, and play either mini-golf or skee ball.

I hate fucking skee-ball.

But the mini-golf in Hazel Dell is pretty amazing, a whole two generations removed from the fancy lights and buzzers and whatnot of the Jersey shore. Peeper raced about from hole to hole, my father-in-law played a bad, methodical game, Mojo and I chaperoned the kids, and my sister- and mother-in-law abandoned halfway through to watch and help the kiddos.

Here Maxine experiments with a putting technique I suspect that Tiger Woods has already abandoned as unprofitable...So as you can see, much fun was had at the mini-golf behind the Steakburger in Hazeldell.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't quite hear the commentary over the roar of the interstate nearby, but it certainly looked like fun! I also have very fond memories of near-freeway mini-golf near Kalamazoo (MI) that we visited during our annual g-ma and g-pa vacation. Some of the best mini-golf holes that I've ever played were over there. Also recommend the glow-in-the-dark blacklight mini-golf in downtown Portland...

Pluto said...

Your commentary reminded me of the "Adventures with Bill" bits from "Red Green." The voice-over seemed the same, so did the maturity level of the non-speaking actors. Max didn't have the same deep pockets as Bill but came to a solution that Bill would recognize as fair and equitable.