Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Jukebox: Pacing the Cage

I'm sad and tired and sick to death of politics and war and all the troubles of the world.

Oh, and the fucking head lice, too.

But I never tire of the songwriting of Bruce Cockburn.And this may be one of his starkest but most heartfelt songs. I get a thick feeling in my chest every time I hear him sing:

"Sometimes the best map will not guide you;
You can't see what's round the bend.
Sometimes the road leads through dark places.
Sometimes the darkness is your friend."


Sometimes I feel like we really are just eddies in the dust of rage.

Ahem. We interrupt this self-pity to bring you some more lovely Cockburn stuff. Did I mention that the guy can swing a serious axe?

Yes. Check out the guitar solo on his cover of "Blueberry Hill" with Margo Timmins:One more fragment of brilliance from Cockburn: "Use Me While You Can". It opens with a mesmerizing description of the Malian desert...just close your eyes and see if you can picture it as he begins. Brilliant; fucking brilliant.Great licks from the Great White North.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing the Bruce Cockburn.

On head lice: They do remind us that we're never far from our primitive symbiotic relationships.

Fr. the wonderful Robert Burns, To a Louse:

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion

FDChief said...

Right now I'm not feeling all that symbiotic. As Robbie might have said, "I'd be lath to rin and chase thee/w' murderin' Permetherin/except that ye're pissing me off and losin' me work days/ ye little boogers."

Lisa said...

;)