Friday, March 11, 2016

Friday Jukebox: That Fucking Wall Again Edition

Given that I have time on my hands and my laptop speakers finally working again I thought I put up a Friday Jukebox and this one grabbed me by the throat. I originally posted this tune almost two years ago.



But it just never seems to grow old, does it?

If Donald Trump had the actual gravitas and ironic self-knowledge that Greg Brown puts into his Hades in this tune you could almost hear him growling to his Trumpeters:

HADES
What do we have that they should want?
My children, my children
What do we have that they should want?

CERBERUS
What do we have that they should want?
We have a wall to work upon!
We have work and they have none
And our work is never done
My children, my children
And the war is never won
The enemy is poverty
And the wall keeps out the enemy
And we build the wall to keep us free
That's why we build the wall
We build the wall to keep us free.

As I said back then; "...echoing the little trickle of tired, sullen anger that's always within me as my country slides unthinking into the New Gilded Age. I love the funky growl Brown gives his Devil, smoothly chortling his way to his appointment with Armageddon while he grins mercilessly at the fucking rubes and fools he's got doing his work for him."

Or, as the Mexicans might say; Chinga tu pared, gringo

No comments: