Friday, August 04, 2006

Don't move!


As I was writing the post below filled with dramatic imagery of the Fall of the Roman Republic, it struck me that my country's current Middle East policy is a lot less like Roman drama and a lot more like Mel Brooks comedy.

Specifically; remember the scene in Blazing Saddles when Sheriff Bart rides into town only to find himself surrounded by angry racists eager to string him up? Just as he's about to be riddled, he puts his gun to his head and takes himself hostage. As the good citizens of Rock Ridge scream and dither, he drags himself away and locks himself in the sheriff's office.

"Whew!" he sighs "Boy, am I smart. And maaaan, are they stupid!"

So while I watch my country help Israel put the muzzle against our own Middle East policy forehead, all I can hear is Cleavon Little growling:

"Don't move! Or the nigga gets it!"

No comments: