Tuesday, August 15, 2006


Hmmm.

Looks like Israel and Hezbollah have decided that they aren't gonna be able to continue their spotlight dance after all. Too much furniture was getting broken and the spectators weren't digging the tango. I'm sure that Chaperone Cheney was willing, but the international crowd was getting restless...

This might be a good time to reflect. What the hell happened? Why? And what does this mean for the spending of further American blood and treasure in the Middle East?

"Cause y'know what? I don't really give a rat's ass about Israel, Lebanon, Iraq or Iran. Oh, sure, I'd like for them to be fat, happy, peaceful countries where all the women are strong, the men handsome and the children above average. No man is an island, all of us are brothers, etcetera, etcetera. But down in the nitty, I don't have a vote in Iraq. I don't pay taxes to Israel (well, at least I don't write the check to Tel Aviv..!) I'm an American, and it's my business what my own country does, or doesn't do.

So, this week, I want to take a look a little history of the United States in the Middle East, our present adventure there, and what the future might bring.

Tomorrow: how did we get here?

No comments: