Thursday, July 12, 2007

Counterbattery

In the FA we have a term for a type of fire mission that is intended to "suppress" (i.e. kill people and break stuff) other people's artillery: counterbattery fire means that you target their FA systems; guns, radar, fire direction. Well, that's kinda what's been happening this week.

First, it's been the work week from hell: I've gotten home at (starting with Monday) 6:30, 7:30 and 8:15 each night. Lots of work and not enough daylight to do it.

Second, it's been hotter than hell in the Northwest. Unlike those of you in places where the weather is more...not cool...we're not used to all this "it's 100 degrees in the shade" crap. I've been in the field all three days, so when I've gotten home I've been whacked.

And third, something's gone all pear-shaped with our DSL modem, so I can't post from home. Well, crap. That sucks, because I had a lot I wanted to talk about.

There's politics, especially the ongoing non-event of Le Surge, Bush v. Congress and the implications for the wider "war on terror". Turns out that all those lawyers, guns and money haven't actually hurt our buddies Osama and his band of merry religious nuts much after all. Well, day-um, Zeke, whooda thunk that?

At least it's been the first week of Le Tour. Flat racing, so more of same-same, but it was nice to see the Yellow Jersey win a stage (bonus item at the link: how do bike racers pee?)...and the mountains are coming...

They're red hot and rollin'! Get on down to the Rose Garden and check out
Portland's very own Rose City Rollers! Talk about hot fun in the summertime...

Men who clean. Teh hott? Who knew? I've got to stop at Freddy's on the way home tonight and pick up some Lysol...

Well, I've gotta get on the way - that hole won't drill itself, y'know. I want to check back in later with some pictures of little Miss Baoxin's home town!


4 comments:

walternatives said...

"Day-um," Zeke is right. I have the feeling that this A.Q. news ("Oh, be very, very afraid, Americans") is poised to counterbalance the brewing firestorm of dissent in Congress and keep the rest of the country (i.e. those that don't pay attention) terrorized from within. F*ckers. Excuse my French - Le Tour and all.

atomic mama said...

Skate or die!

Millicent said...

I knew that'd get AM's attention! I heard you guys've got a heat wave going on...it's making all this rain over here seem not so bad. You folks around this weekend? It might be time for a real live conversation eh?

Millicent said...

I forgot to mention...we're sitting here watching the Tour. Live dude. Eric's laying on the couch feeding dried apricots and chips into his face, intermittently snoring then waking up to sqwak about Cancellara, Wiggins, and Hushovd (sp?, also named Thor BTW). Wish you were here.