Saturday, February 01, 2020

The end of the American Experiment

I know I said I was done wirting about American politics, but this is so ridiculously central to all of our lives that I'll have some thoughts on the United States Senate's decision to transform the office of Chief Executive into an unaccountably sovereign neo-autocrat early next week.

Suffice for now to say that the one thing that never entered my mind, when as a young man I watched the committee hearings on Nixon’s criming that summer of ‘74 - my mother, good American that she was, refused to let me shirk observing a critical moment in our nation's political existence - was that I’d live to see the remake of that picture where the bad guy wins and walks out of the courtroom grinning. If Trumpy had any sense of history he’d pose on the steps of Marine One with both arms raised flashing double “V” signs.

It’s kind of shocking to watch how easy it is for a president to become a king.

It’s just revolting to watch that happen with this fucking guy. Caesar? Sure. Brilliant bastard with a string of Big Wins. Trump? Seriously? We’re gonna pimp our our republic for this low-rent orange shitgibbon? Say what you want about Lenin or Hitler, at least there was some dark genius about them. We’re taking a dump on the 200-plus years of the experiment in republican governence for this sleazy spray-tanned used-car-salesman?

Assuming it will be legal to write honestly about these times future historians won’t have a clue how to present this without pages of baffled speculation and disbelief.

What's really weird about this is how it's all taking place as if it were just any other day.

Friday, while 3,000 miles away the republic I have made my home for more than sixty years, the republic whose uniform I wore, the republic I always assumed was immutable, is being turned into an autocracy by a cabal of venal and cynical men.

And I was driving to work like any other day.

Just seemed like there should have been something more...ominous.

Rain of blood.

Earthquake.

Dead rising from the grave.

Not merely light traffic congestion passing through the Woodburn interchange.

No comments: