Saturday, July 10, 2021

Techbros

My iPhone does this thing where if I respond immediately to an email it refuses to copy the earlier emails in the thread into the reply. 
 
I have to open the email, close, reopen, then wait a bit and then it’ll copy. 
 
My boss gets fussy every time it fails to do this, like today.

My Boss: Why don’t you copy all the earlier emails when you reply? It makes it hard to follow the conversation.
Me: (explains about the iPhone thing)...so when I’m doing four things at once, like today (hint) and don’t have time to be patient and wait, you don’t get the other stuff.’
MB: Well, it’s very distracting.
Me: Why? How hard is it to remember what you read two minutes earlier?
MB: Why doesn’t it just do it automatically?
Me: Because I am it’s bitch and every so often it has to prove it to me.
MB:
Me:
MB: Just do the thing that makes it copy, okay?
Me: What fun is that? Okay, fine. You useta be a lot more fun when you were just project level.
 

2 comments:

Ael said...

I know some people who insist on email reply history because it makes it easier to bring in someone else by simply adding their name to the reply list and they get full context.

I know others who insist on removing reply history because it is too easy distribute sensitive information to people who should not get it. Say by having an earlier conversation between team members where they discuss something sensitive and then the conversation goes off on a tangent and eventually brings in someone from outside who gets to see the much much earlier conversation.

FDChief said...

I reeeeeally don't have a dog in that fight - if I need to reply I do, and that's all I need to do...but this one particular guy gets all spun up when he can't read back down everything that's been said. He's the only one of my bosses that makes a fuss about it.

It IS kind of weird and irritating, tho. I'm not sure why the stupid phone does it.

And it kind of makes me nostalgic for the time when the great part about fieldwork was that it made it impossible for people to pester you over the phone. But that's like longing for long-form blogging to return; ain't gonna happen...