Tuesday, January 02, 2024

First post of 2024; Hatsugeiko

For several years I lived out on Portland’s west side – part of the Tualatin Valley, the suburban enclave over the Portland Hills from the Beehive of Terrorism itself. New Year’s night there was always interesting, because amid the fireworks was a surprisingly large amount of actual gunfire that would have delighted the guests at an Afghanistan wedding party.

One year that included an immense blast that rattled the windows just past midnight; probably pyro but it sounded like someone had upgraded from small arms to an actual cannon, and who doesn’t shoot in the new year with an artillery piece, amiright?

This year I enjoyed a new experience New Year’s Day; loaded the bogu bag and shinai and played two hours of kendo at the Portland Kendo Club’s hatsugeiko, the traditional “first practice” of the new year, followed by a potluck. 

Part of the fun was the venue itself, "Fulton Park Community Center".

The building is over a century old - 1914 - as a school:

"In 1914, the Fulton Park Elementary School was built. The school housed grades K-8 in its four classrooms all opening into a central gymnasium, complete with a stage. A later remodel of the building included a new kitchen and additional bathroom facilities. The building was designed by Floyd Archibald Naramore, who was the architect and superintendent of school properties for Portland Public Schools from 1912 to 1919."

The old school - and it's still run as a school, a tiny French immersion program (which is kind of ridiculous. French? Allez savoir.) - is utterly Ragtime Era awesome, with all the architectural gimmicks of the era. Not sure which I loved more; the massive wooden timber truss ceiling? The little anterooms at the back of the classrooms with the sliding doors to hide all the coats and hats and the utility sink?

The wood floor was perfect; it's hard to emphasize enough how different floor types are on my legs.

The metal joints are unsparing. They simply don't give and flex like human bones do. So playing kendo - which requires a lot of energetic suburi or footwork - means taking a pounding through the legs. A hard floor, like concrete? Fuuuuuck. I come away from a couple of hours of keiko aching in every knee joint.

But a springy wood floor like Fulton? That's pure energy-giving. I was sore this morning - it was a good hard practice - but my legs? As good as they ever are, and that's terrific.

So. Great kendo, good training, lots of fun with kendoka from all over Portland plus family, big kid energy, great food, just a terrific way to start off the year.

Hope all here have the same.

And, today as every day, this year as every year, as always, ceterum (autem) censeo the GOP esse delendam.

3 comments:

mike said...

Happy New Year. May 2024 be good to you and yours.

Leon said...

A couple of decades ago when I still swing danced, there used to be a venue that had its original sprung floors from when it was a dance hall in the jazz era. It was fantastic, just that tiny amount of give made the dancing there magical. Just as cool was to go to the cloakroom located in the basement and look up at the ceiling and seeing it flex from the dancers above.

Dan said...

Off topic.
Just came across your blog.
I live in Winston-Salem, NC, a 2 1/2 hour drive from Fayetteville. I was taking my granddaughter to the Amtrak station on Hay Street to catch the train to her art school in Savannah.
Let me mention that I went through the SFQC in 1975. The only thing that got me through was that I had a guaranteed slot at 10th Group, Ft. Devens, and the knowledge that if I washed out I was going to the Eighty-deuce as a 91B.
The Airborne museum is across the railroad tracks from the train station, with “Iron Mike” out front. I googled “Bruce the Gay Beret”, and up popped your blog post about the SFQC, which resonated deeply with me. How well I remember the ritual
goat slaughter and the delicious taste of smoked, partially cooked goat meat, along with some snake and rice stew that an instructor thoughtfully whipped up for us!
BTW, Hay street is now completely transformed into open air bistros and shops to rival downtown Portland, with a police station standing at the former site of Rick’s Lounge, the famous topless bar staffed in my day by cast off Vietnamese divorcees.
Anyway, thanks for the memories, I see you are also a fan of George MacDonald Fraser. I’ve read all his works , including all the Flashman Papers many times.