Thursday, September 13, 2007

Radio Silence

You know I love y'all, right? I love you when you give me bloggy happiness, and I even love you when you don't comment on my witty spasms of erudition or my personal joys like cycling and the films of Russ Meyer.

And I love coming here to write, think and respond - although I think I expected the blogosphere to be a little more...interactive. Y'know, a sort of digital salon where I'd throw out some salacious tit-bit and you'd pounce on it like a Fat Nitty with the edge of the living room rug, showering me with flailing metaphors and flashing wit, provoking a sort of Algonquin round-table on-line, only with the refrigerator and toilet closer by...
--
But never mind. The point is that I'm normally very attuned to the comings and goings in the digital world, adding my mite where and when I can.
--
But tomorrow morning it stops.
--
For two whole weeks I will be without my faithful laptop. Over the hills (okay, well , over the ocean) and far away. And I've decided that I want to take a break, a real break, and just concentrate on my lovely bride and the little girl who will be the newest part of our family.
--
I'm not out of business. I may even still pop up, if I can get on the workstation in the "White Swan" and do a little blogging or three. But serious posting?
--
No.
--
In the Army they have a term for when you just sit by the radio, listen to others and be patient - "radio listening silence". Let's call it that. So for the next two weeks, when you stop working for a moment...when you open your eyes in the deep night...when you pause at the streetcorner; that nothing you hear? That silence, the caesura between sounds?
--
Yep. Me.

See ya tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

walternatives said...

You were expecting a digital salon? You're too cute, John. But really, we all know, there can only be ONE Fat Nitty, yes? I don't know if I can go two weeks without FDC, but I'll do my best.

atomic mama said...

Russ Meyer. Awesome.