Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fame is rot...

...daughters are the thing (James M. Barrie)No reason for this post. Just looking through the December photos and realized that our little girl is extraordinarily adorable. The photo below is a game we play called "Little Monkey" or "Help! This Baby Has Caught My Arm!" She loves it almost as much as "Rockababy" (i.e. "Rockabye Baby" - the game being that I hold her at shoulder level and rock her until the line "down will come baby", where I let her free-fall to my waist and she shrieks with laughter.)Her combination of sunny disposition and cuddling nature make her, to my thought, irresistable. But who doesn't think their little girl is adorable? I suspect that the adorability of one's children - and especially one's daugher - is Natures' way of preventing you from defenestrating them when they, say, stuff an entire roll of toilet paper down the crapper.

Here's more adorable: she is "being like the kitty".Garrison Keillor said "The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground, snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter puts her arm over his shoulder and says, "Daddy, I need to ask you something," he is a pat of butter in a hot frying pan."And it's very true; understated, if anything. I am a slave to my little girl, whose bright eyes shine brighter than my sun and moon and stars.Her latest adorable even manages to make the Christmas Greedfest mildly tolerable. She has grasped the concept of Santa, so now whenever we see a Santa she makes a gesture with both hands to her breast, and says "Santa come give Missy present." and extends her arms in a giving gesture. The whole performance is utterly charming.Now my sleepy girl is in bed, dreaming of what I cannot guess. But I can hope that it is of her mother and brother and her daddy, who love her very much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pat of butter in hot frying pan" indeed.
I have two sons, and a scout master to 35 more, young lions all.
Tumbling around, wrestling one another, one-upping the other scout, crawling up 60 degree angle hill sides with the full expectation that the "old guys" will follow.
But throw one girl into the mix, and the whole thing falls apart. The young lions become obnoxious little kittens looking for trouble, the dads treat her like she is their long lost daughter, or the daughter they've always wished they had...and the girls...good lord, they soak it all up like sponge in tub full of warm water.
Chief, that little girl of yours to darn cute for her own good, and you, my northren friend, are doomed to slavery to that cuteness.

Anonymous said...

I think that Sheera is absolutely right, but I also think the Chief will thoroughly enjoy his slavery.

Happy Holidays!

Maia said...

Ah, yes. If only I had understood earlier in life how willingly we submit to the shackles of this slavery. But...my earlier life was for other things, and I think it's possible that I enjoy it even more at this age.